I used to pay attention to my Horoscope.
It started as an event we would do at work to break up the monotony of the afternoon. Dan would gather us all around and read the short little two liner yahoo horoscope for each of us, we'd laugh at it, discuss it, be weirded out at how 'accurate' it was, then get back to work. I was a little uncomfortable with it but I figured it couldn't really hurt, I mean I didn't really believe it so, no big deal. Well every once in a while Dan would forget, so I, ready for my afternoon break, would remind him, "don't forget horoscopes!" Well a few years later after most of them had moved on to different parts of the company, and I'd gone to a completely different job, and then moved back, I decided to start reading my horoscope again...you know "just for fun". I "didn't really believe in that sort of thing" but "just wanted something to do in the afternoon". Well I got into it. I'd read the mini yahoo horoscope, then I'd read the extended yahoo horoscope, then I'd find other websites with different horoscopes on them. I'd email them out to my co-workers even if they didn't ask for them, you know like a community service thing. I wanted to know more...more of what? More about Me, how I am, how I relate to the world, what I should do, who I should be friends with, what was going to happen to Me. Was I looking in the wrong direction? Yes. Weak minded? Yes. Filling myself full of worthless ideas that were of no benefit but could actually hurt me? Yes.
This brings me to my next point that is oddly enough WAY TO MUCH INFORMATION (Dad if you're reading this, stop now, I'll just tell you about it later)...but related.
I take much delight in something that is generally considered taboo for no good reason. Everyone does it, actually if you don't do it there is something seriously wrong, like go-see-your-doctor-wrong. And there are a ton of over the counter medicines out there that actually try to assist you to do this very thing. Of course I'm talking about pooping. It so freakin amazing how God made our bodies! We eat something, digest it, and the stuff we don't need or could hurt us, we send it on out!! How brilliant is that!? And seriously do you not feel a sense of accomplishment when this process works really well? Sometimes do you not even feel as if a weight was lifted off...or maybe out...of you? It's the best feeling ever! Well that's going a bit far, but for a daily activity, it does give Quite a bit of satisfaction when everything is working properly.
Well I just think, and kind of wish, our minds and hearts worked the same way. All of the worthless crap (pun-ny!) that I have put into myself could just be expelled daily and flushed down the toilet. But maybe that is why God wants us to make sure to come to him daily, to read his word and have a constant conversation with Him, so that he can help be our...um...enema? so to speak. Maybe that's why hiding my filth from him, or pretending it not filth, isn't all that great of an idea. Maybe that's why he wants me to bring it into the light and show it to Him, so he can show us how he already has flushed it down the great God sized toilet.
Is this getting irreverent? Or did I pass irreverent a while back? I really don't mean it that way. I was thinking a little about this the other day when talking to my Mom (oddly enough after going to the ladies room) and then after reading the Sweet Spot the parallels just kept coming. I mean sometimes it takes some work on our part...heh...heh to uh...expel the toxins, and sometimes its kind of painful. But that doesn't mean God isn't there, and isn't making sure everything works as he directs it to.
5 comments:
I like these ideas and I think you should try to accomplish at least one of them. Glad you wrote them down! :) I love getting a little glimpse into the mind of Kristy!
Ok, I'm a dummy. that comment was meant for your "ideas" post... I haven't read this other one yet, but I'm sure there will be great ideas here too! :P
There was actually a wife of a (kinda crazy) preacher dude who was recored on Youtube saying, "You need a-a-a HOLY GHOST ENEMA!!!" So, no you are not the only one in the world to think it. I completely see where you are coming from. :)
Haha Holy Ghost enema. Love it!
You know that Martin Luther had his conversion experience on the toliet..."the secret room of the monks". He would later recall "The Holy Spirit unveiled the Scriptures for me in this tower at the lavatory". Not bad for starting the Reformation!
I like how one historian has written of Luther's conversion, “a giant dose of theological laxative that purged Luther of his religious constipation” (Lindbert, The Eurpoean Reformations, 18)
Post a Comment