Friday, May 03, 2013

A Walk


This walk with K and J really reminded me of the Psalm that talks about how God "hems me in behind and before." I wasn't completely sure what it meant but I know for most of my life it sounded terrifying. When I knew God but didn't really know him it sounded like "Big Brother" creepily watching from a distance waiting for me to screw it all up. In getting to know God better and it's comforting to know he is more like our walk with Joshua. Kris walked by his side and I walked just behind (pushing the discarded stroller), smiling at how he took in his world, watching to see if we could help him when he stumbled and to correct his direction if he wanted to run out and catch the "vroom vrooms" (cars) or put trash in his mouth. We wanted to love him. And our love is imperfect and selfish, but if we hemmed Joshua in behind and before imperfectly, how much more wonderfully does God want to care for us? Jesus gave us some insight into this when he talked about this exact thing. And it brings me back to the Psalm. Here  is the Pslam in a clearer translation.

God, investigate my life; get all the facts firsthand. I'm an open book to you; even from a distance, you know what I'm thinking. You know when I leave and when I get back; I'm never out of your sight. You know everything I'm going to say before I start the first sentence. I look behind me and you're there, then up ahead and you're there, too— your reassuring presence, coming and going. This is too much, too wonderful— I can't take it all in! (Psalm 139:1-6 MSG)

No comments: