Friday, September 05, 2008

Flashback Friday - 1982

From left to right this is Beth, Joy (the babysitter) and Me. What are we doing? Making mud pies! I remember running into the kitchen to wash my hands and 'Wonder of Wonders! Joy was there! Well of course she would want to come out and play with us instead of talk in the kitchen with Mom especially when she found out we are making MUD PIES! Oddly enough she wasn't as thrilled as I thought she would be when I told her. But being such an amazing babysitter, she came out anyways :) As you can tell I was really into it.
If you don't know much about me let me tell you a few things that haven't changed much since I was a kid. 1. It takes me a long time to make a final decision. 2. I'm easily distracted. 3. I don't really do things half-way unless I get distracted (see #2). Let me illustrate. Playing in the mud was a serious business, it wasn't something we got to do very often. I would dig my hands in there as deep as I could to get solid clumps of mud to make delicious mud pies. I wouldn't care that I got mud everywhere, until the mud got caked and caked on, then it was time to wash. I'd go inside, use the soap and wash my hands until they were sparkeling clean, then I'd go back outside ready to make another pie. Logical? Why yes it is, when the mud gets caked on too much then the dexterity of your fingers suffer and therefore the shape of the mud pie suffers. I couldn't have that happenning so I had to take care of that by washing my hands. So if I'm going to wash my hands I'm not going to just rinse them off a leave a film on them, I'm going to go all the way. Make sense? Of course! However I get inside and I see Mom talking to Joy before I have a chance to get to the sink, BAM! I forget about the dexterity and cleaning issue and invite her out.
Post note by Mom: Do you see in the picture how both of your hair is back in a bun? That means you had already had your Saturday afternoon bath for church the next day! Uhoh.

1 comment:

Thany said...

One of my all time favorite pics of our childhood.