What if words actually did hurt? What if there was physical pain to the recipient every time someone cut someone else down, whether to their face or behind their back. Little "biting" remarks would show up on people's skin like teeth marks. Words that are harsher and crueler would cut deeper. Unless it was to a persons face, you wouldn't know who said it or even what they said, but it would show up the moment they got it out. Either in written or spoken word.
That would include self deprecating remarks. "I'm an idiot" could give you a bruise on your head, "I'm worthless" could give you a fever.
Now all of this would happen whether the words spoken were true or untrue. i.e. if a person is acting like an idiot and someone says "they are an idiot" they would still get a bruise on the head, likewise would a non-idiot.
Well first of all Brittney Spears would probably be dead by now. So would most politicians or really anyone in authority.
I would be a murderer....I'm not proud of that but have to admit, its true.
Would people be more gentle with their words and instead resort to physical violence cause it might hurt less?
Would we have even more problems with the over or under-regulation of "free speech"?
Most of all, I think it would make people think more often about what comes out of their mouth about other people. Because I think in many ways what I say, especially about other people, effects me too. My biting remark about someone behind their back, in actuality, mostly hurts me and the people around me who hear it. I can't explain it, I don't know why it works that way but I've noticed it in my life a-plenty.
1 comment:
Your words spoken and unspoken do hurt. They hurt the hearts of the people that love and loved you. Even more than hateful hurtful words you speak out loud are the ones that you never say to the ones you've hurt the most.
Erica
Post a Comment