I heard once that God is sorry and sad that he created man. That everytime we sin knowingly or unknowlingly, we hurt him. I really don't want to believe that, but I just found this verse.
Gen6:6-8 'The LORD was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain. So the LORD said, "I will wipe mankind, whom I have created, from the face of the earth—men and animals, and creatures that move along the ground, and birds of the air—for I am grieved that I have made them." But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD.'
So I guess I can't really argue whether or not I want to believe that God is (or was) sad that he created man or not. Another question is, is he still sad?
So the world went majorly down hill in like 5 chapters and really the only way that we know that, is by Gods feelings about it. God saw that it was good...then the fall and God seems pretty angry at that point, (but he still takes care of them, clothes them and all that)...then the flood, and yet he saves Noah.
But he now sent Jesus, and that made things different, right? He pleased God the very very most. I mean God said "this is my Son whom I love, with him I am well pleased".
I'm also probably making theologians and expert bloggers everywhere shudder because I haven't looked up any of the Greek or Hebrew and I don't really have a point. These are just some of my random wonderings.
OK back to Jesus. Essentially, we cannot please God, right? Well not right, Noah pleased God, we cannot get to heaven on our own...but several people pleased God on their own...right? Abraham pleased God by his faith (hebrews), Moses pleased God 'And the LORD said to Moses, "I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name." '(Ex 33:17) ...So faith. I think there is a verse somewhere that talks about how to please God. Oooh right, here it is, "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him"
So we please God by faith. I used to hear in youth group that faith is like sitting on a chair. I mean you can look at a chair and you can say out loud "I beleive that chair can hold my weight." But until you sit in the chair, there is no faith...right? Maybe? Or do you have faith by just beleiving. Is Faith acting "as if" somethings true?
So I beleive that Jesus died for my Sins, and he came back to life and in doing that justified me before God. Right? How do I act on that? I mean the ultimate act of beleiveing that would be to kill myself (these are JUST THOUGHTS I AM NOT GOING TO KILL MYSELF) and say, "I am dying as an act of that faith that I am going to heaven and not hell."
But the REALLY doesn't follow under the category of pleaseing God so I guess the act of faith would be to live with faith. Doesn't Paul say that somewhere? OK so how many philosophical circles have I made by now?
Brief re-cap:
1. Fact: God was at one point sorry he created man. Genesis
2. Unanswered question: Is he still sorry?
3. Fact: Noah pleased God. Genesis
4. Fact: Faith pleases God. Hebrews
5. Fact: Faith has to be with works. James
5. Unanswered question: How do I live in faith?
I think I'm going to have to leave this as a to be continued. I just "thought" myself dizzy. Comments, corrections, insights, or whatever are welcome.
4 comments:
I enjoyed this very much. I will come back with my own thoughts after I pick myself up off the floor.
Excellent ponderables. Once my mind stops spinning, I may have a thought or two to share! :-)
Don't you love it when you start with a simple question and you loop yourself around like that? It gets us in the Word more.
Yes totally! It definitly brought more questions that I can take to God, its so much better then just dismissing them, and it helps me realize how much I really do need to trust in the Lord with all of my heart and lean not on my own understanding!
It might be helpful to read a little further in the book, say starting in Genesis 8:21 "And when the LORD smelled the pleasing aroma, the LORD said in his heart, 'I will never again curse the ground because of man...'"
Here we have a sacrifice bringing a "pleasing aroma" which results in removal of curse in Genesis 3:17 "cursed is the ground because of you". Then there is Promise and blessing, a re-creation in Genesis 9:1 "And God blessed Noah and his sons and said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth".
These types and shadows will be fulfilled in a perfect Sacrifice that is pleasing to God. It will remove the ultimate Curse and usher in the Promise and blessing of a New Creation.
Thus, God is not still sorry for he has created a new humanity in Christ in which he is fully pleased.
Our response? 1 John 3:11 For this is the message that you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
Post a Comment