Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Walk with God

Aaaand he walks with me and he talks with me and he tells me I am his own....and the joy we share and we tarry there....none other has ever known.


I heard that hymn on some movie soundtrack years ago. I think I was in the car with either my Mom or Dad while we were listening to it and they shuddered. And said something about the "none other has ever known" part. That ANYONE can know what its like to walk with God. I want to. I want to know what that means. So I am looking it up.



Gen 5:21-23 When Enoch had lived 65 years, he became the father of Methuselah. And after he became the father of Methuselah, Enoch walked with God 300 years and had other sons and daughters. Altogether, Enoch lived 365 years. Enoch walked with God; then he was no more, because God took him away.


Gen 6:9-10 This is the account of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked with God. Noah had three sons: Shem, Ham and Japheth.


LEV 26:3,12 "If you follow my decrees and are careful to obey my commands...I will walk among you and be your God, and you will be my people."


Gen 3:8-9 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden. But the LORD God called to the man, "Where are you?"

God was walking but man wasn't with him. I think I've heard a lot of sermons saying that perhaps that was the time that typically Adam would walk with God in the Garden, don't know why if we're just guessing Eve wouldn't be there too, but since it doesn't say that I don't really know. What I do know is that God was walking in the Garden and then he called for Adam but Adam hid from him.


OK so I gave in and looked up the Hebrew word "walked" in the context of Enoch (yay blueletterbible.com) and it means...drum roll please..."to walk"...brilliant. (And since I like numbers I also like to note that's this word is used 500 times :) ) But it also shows all of the examples in the old Testament of people that walked with God, or walked with other gods, or instructions that God gave to "walk before" Him or "walk in His ways". The following are some examples of those verses.


Gen 48:15 Then he blessed Joseph and said, "May the God before whom my fathers Abraham and Isaac walked, the God who has been my shepherd all my life to this day...


Deu 5:32-33 So be careful to do what the LORD your God has commanded you; do not turn aside to the right or to the left. Walk in all the way that the LORD your God has commanded you, so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days in the land that you will possess


Is 50:10 Who among you fears the LORD and obeys the word of his servant? Let him who walks in the dark, who has no light, trust in the name of the LORD and rely on his God.


I like walking. Like the one foot in front of the other type of walking. At one point I was walking 6 miles a day at least, in flipflops. (I like flipflops too.) There is something soothing about the journey of walking, the flip flip sound of the sandal, that way the landscape changes as you slowly get closer or further away, the way the climate changes as clouds slowly block and then uncover the sunlight, the feeling of the air on your skin when you are in full sun as opposed to the shade of buildings or trees or as the day progresses, the different smells as you walk by gardens or restaurants or the freeway. I get to see more things, at your own pace, and decide on your way which path to take to your destination, if there even is one. However, figurative walking makes me VERY nervous. Taking things "one-step-at-a-time" in relationships, careers, projects, etc. is unheard of. Its either all or nothing. I either dive in to the figurative pool and hope not to drown, or its as if the pool doesn't even exist.

No comments: