Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Ten on Tuesday! Nih! Nih!

Ten on Tuesday in no particular order.

1. Neuter - heehee the word makes me laugh and its not a bad idea if your pets are "outdoor" pets.

2. Napping - ahh the wonderfulness of a good nap. Especially on vacation. Or a 'naughty' nap when I know I'm supposed to be doing something...but can't quite remember what...and I'm just going to lay down for a....second...honest...zzzzzzzz...

3. Nottingham forest - I totally thought that the Disney Robin Hood movie, with the foxes, that I loved as a child was some "special" Disney movie that could only be watched once in a while. Not like Cinderella, she's for everyday, she's like an old comfortable robe. But Robin Hood was like a night on the town, it was special. Not idea what gave me that impression, but there it is. I pretty much love any Robin Hood movie, Cosner included. I mean robbing the rich to give to the poor, hello, how delightful is that? You get to cheer a hero, who has an element of 'bad boy' to him because he's an outlaw, but he's tender hearted to the down trodden. "Oooo-da-lah-lee!"

4. Night - is my favorite time of day. Thank you for the peace that comes at nighttime. Time to sort out my thoughts and especially my feeling from the bright glare of the day, let them settle in and take root, or choose to give them to God before they are allowed to take root. Nighttime is perfect for solitary reflection...or, like tonight, reruns of UFC and Burn Notice. The options are endless at night. I also tend to get really chatty at night. As you might be able to tell by the length of this post.

5. Noel - I have fluctuated a lot on my feeling towards Christmas. There are only so many ways to sing Christmas carols, and there are a limited number of carols themselves, so without trying to sound too Scrooge-like, please please don't play them until an appropriate time. I would like to appreciate the intimacy and vulnerability of 'Silent Night' without the desire to cover my ears a run screaming...thank you. That aside, I am very thankful for Christmas.

6. Nylons - I am very...very...ahem...very white. When I was brave enough in high school to wear shorts I had girls poking me all through choir class because had never seen someone as white as I am and couldn't believe my skin was real skin (and not scales apparently). My friends, yes friends, used to laugh thinking I had white tights on under my dress...no...no tights, just my legs. Therefore, in a pinch, when I don't want to take a chance on the sunless tanning creme daring to hope that maybe, just maybe it won't turn me orange and streaky this time, I am thankful for sheer nylons, that fortunately aren't sheer at all, but have a touch of color that I don't.

7. Nate - Nate Nate Nate. Oh how I love that boy. He made me an Aunt. I'm getting sappy about it...I remember being so scared, cause I'm not a "kid-person" naturally. Mom and my sister were oooo-ing and ahhh-ing over the new baby clothes. And I REALLY didn't get it. I was freaking out thinking, "what if I NEVER get it? What if he takes his first steps and I couldn't care less? What does someone DO with...a baby? Don't they PUKE alot?" EVERYTHING changed the day, the MOMENT he was born. I never thought I would ever love a child so much. I seriously fell head over heels. (Then Lucy came and I would look at her and my heart would go to mush and I never thought I would have room for another! Then Ella...and man...I can't imagine life without her...seriously.)

8. New - I am thankful for new things. New days, new bikes (see previous post), new socks or when I have to start to use a new pad of sticky notes it delights me. I really like learning new things. What is the temperature of water in the middle of the ocean under Paraguay? Is there an ocean under Paraguay? Why do Sikh men wear a bracelet? What was the price of an egg as compared to an entire chicken in 1346? Are they as comparable today? I love finding out new things. I also am thankful that His mercies are new every morning! HALLELUJAH

9. Naked - I've learned a new term. It's called a "rear naked choke". I have no idea why its called that. Its nothing dirty, its a term I learned from watching Ultimate Fighting Championship. Its where one guy grabs the other guy around the neck from behind, typically with one arm, and..well...makes it so the other guy can't breath so well. A really skilled mixed martial artist can find ways of getting out of these, but a lot of times you're just plain stuck and you either pass out, or you have to do something that many are ashamed to do, you have to surrender to a submission by "tap out", that is frantically tap either the mat or the guy that's chocking you so the ref knows that the game is over. Did I mention I like learning new things? Anyways, learning about a "rear naked choke" has delighted me and its one of my favorite things to recognize and call out during a game...that and "ground and pound" but I'll save that for another blog. OK I was going to try to find a picture of a "rear naked choke" to help explain it in my blog but umm...don't try to look for it on google images...really just take my word for it.

10. Net flix - what can I say...movies right to my door that I usually forgot I even ordered! Good stuff! Gee thanks!

Bonus #11 in celebration of getting to Ten on Tuesday on time!
11. Novice - In many way I feel like a novice in life. Like I need to learn everything over again, "ok so I shower daily then...yes? yes. check...and this whole eating thing, is that once a day? no? three times? ok. check" But I am thankful for it. So thankful for second, third, fourth, eleven hundredth, chances. Thankful for this time to be allowed to be a novice and learn old things like new again.

2 comments:

Crayl said...

Fabulous list.
Fabulous insight.
Thank you.

Thany said...

You are a WONDERFUL Aunt....it comes very naturally and looks good on you and always matches no matter what shoes you are wearing.